Followers

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Our First Weekend in Nicaragua


Day 1: Today was obviously the first day, and I obviously thought I would be extremely tired, but I wasn’t. I was so excited to be in Rivas and helping in the school. Because it’s a Saturday, the children weren’t at school. The teachers, however, were. A team of generous and amazing teachers came in, welcoming us as one of the first groups to ever volunteer at Escuela Especial. While there, we cleaned bathrooms, classrooms, the kitchen, and fields of trash. It was so fulfilling cleaning the woodshop classroom; it hasn’t been cleaned for seven years. Knowing that the children and teacher will be very thankful grateful for their clean school made it mean even more.
            While cleaning, I had time to think. I thought about why I was here, the initial goal for today and the overall goal for the whole trip. I concluded that my goal for today was to show the teachers and kids at the school that we are trustworthy people that are here to help as much as possible. I also concluded that my goal for the trip was to not only enhance my life, but more importantly, to change and help everyone I encounter. I am representing Vail, CGA, and America. I know it is a big responsibility, but it is one I am willing and honored to take.
            I am so privileged, thrilled, blessed, and happy to be here. I am filled with curiosity and excitement for the life changing week ahead.

Day 2: Today we prepared bags of rice, beans, noodles, cookies, soap, floss, toothpaste, toothbrushes, scrubs, and only for each child. We also organized our donation bags. Douglas and I got to go to a busy, fun Nicaraguan grocery store.
            It was so amazing to see all the donations. It was shocking to see how many donations can fit into ten or so bags. There were so manyclothes, school supplies, and computer parts that will surely change children at the school lifestyles.
            At the market, Douglas and I filled 180 pounds of beans, and went on a hunt for fruit. We successfully filled seven, 25 pounds each, bags. It was the busiest, most buzzing grocery I’ve ever been to, I loved it.
            I can now truly appreciate everyone’s donations, I thank you deeply. I am so appreciative and thankful for your support.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your post. Very descriptive, insightful and entertaining.
    I always enjoy going to local markets, whenever I travel. It's a window
    into the people living there.
    You must be excited for Monday with the students, and getting
    a chance to spend time with them.
    -keep on posting :)

    ReplyDelete