Followers

Friday, August 3, 2012

Final, Important Days at Escuela Especial


Day 6: Today, I completed my last home visit with a very enthusiastic translator and social service worker. After, I went to the school where I found myself working in numerous classrooms. I went to visit Axel, a boy with CP. When first arriving to Axel’s house, I was very hopeful. Although living in a one roomed shack, the mom looked very welcoming. I was wrong. Axel goes to a public school, but can’t pass the second grade.  He is enrolled at this public school because his mom doesn’t want the other kids at Escuela Especial to “dumb him down”. Axel is hit repeatedly in the head by his father, 18 year old sister, and grandmother. This poor ten year old boy is not only bullied crucially at school but abused at home. The mother was crying, embarrassed by her decisions, but she wanted to begin giving Axel a better life. We invited Axel to the party at the school tomorrow, to preview and possibly decided to enroll Axel at Escuela Especial.
                When returning back to Escuela Especial, I helped in the 3rd grade room and the Yahoska’s classroom. At around 11:45 am, I could tell the kids were getting bored and tired. I decided to begin playing with them. We counted how many times we could spin around! Without knowing, the kids were learning! Seeing the kids laugh brought joy to my heart! They’ve given me so much!
Day 7: Party! Today was our last day working with the kids at Escuela Especial! In celebration of our visit, we threw a wonderful party!
                I was so pleased when I saw Rosa, Estiban, Marison, and Axel at the party! We gave out clothes, to the teachers and students!  We gave the children an amazing meal and had piƱatas full of any child’s favorite thing, CANDY!! At the end of the party, we surprisingly received gifts from the families at Escuela Especial. I was granted at beautiful, one of a kind, candle holder. It was engraved by students at Escuela Especial, illustrating beautiful pictures of Nicaraguan culture. After the party, we went to another party at Carmen Margarita’s house. Here,  we all danced like Nicaraguans and enjoyed well spent time with the teachers and each other.
It’s amazing, the bond you build with children over the course of seven days. They will forever hold a place in my heart! Volunteering at the school has truly changed me as a person. The  kids are all so special and beautiful!!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an inspiration, Meaghan!! Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete